Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Yes!; Or The Funniest Book I Have Read in Quite Some Time

Rarely does a book make me laugh out loud. But I am telling you, my new pretend best friend, Maria, made me laugh my ass off.

She wrote the book I could only dream of writing.

I want to tell my embarrassing stories of my horrible dating experiences, but somehow I have shut them out of my memory. Maria on the other hand, wallows in the craziness that are her dates. For instance, she literally had a man ask her to bite his penis.

Yes. Bite his penis. They were in a Starbucks.

And I was immediately reminded of Pee Man.

(Maria also has nicknames for her dates. Although I think hers was to ensure a sense of anonymity, rather than her actually forgetting the man's name and just giving him a witty name, like Pee Man.)

The greatest theme of the book was the fact that in all the crazy dating she was doing, she actually had an opportunity to see good qualities in all of these men. OK. Most of these men. She really learned to have an open heart as well as an open mind. And I think that is what I, and many other women, can take away from this memoir. That throughout all the craziness that is this world, there is a lot of good (and a lot of bad) and that we better just make the best out of it.

Now, she didn't write a trite memoir. It was seriously funny; this is just what I got out of it. All in all, it was simply brilliant.

3 comments:

Holli said...

Wow, perhaps I should read this? It sounds really amazing. Penis biting? In Starbucks? Ewww...

Unknown said...

I think maybe I should read this too! I'm fairly certain I could think of some fantastic names for men. Of course I didn't always technically DATE these men. Take for example....my hallway pee-er

Unknown said...

Wait...I wasn't saying this was a good name for HIM. I was just giving an example of the people that have entered my life in 1 way or another.