Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Things That Make Me Happy: A Running List

1) Realizing after some 10-odd years that The X-Files is STILL a fantastic show.

Even though I stopped watching when Duchovny left the show (because as we all know, the shows where Mulder and Scully are apart kinda suck), I was convinced by friends and the upcoming movie premier to catch up on what I missed.

I missed the last two seasons of a kick ass show.

In college, I used to have The X-Files parties. Every Sunday, my girlfriends and I would convene at my apartment and we would turn off all the lights and watch the show. (Obviously, these were the days before the DVR, another thing that makes me happy.) We would sit quietly and only speak during the commercials. If the phone rang, I would pick it and slam it down, as Amanda once learned the hard way. During one season finale, I had a huge party and imbibed in a little too much red wine and passed out before the ending of the show. I missed the entire last episode and had to wait a whole summer to watch it. I caught the episode in Spain, but I understood as much of it there as I did in my drunken stupor. Ah, those were the days.

But when Mulder wasn't going to be a part of the show, I couldn't watch. I couldn't condone what Duchovny was doing! The horror. Leaving me to wonder what will happen to Scully, all alone. Who will save her when she goes to far to prove Mulder wrong? Who will tease her when she has a crush on a random vampire (played by a smoking hot Luke Wilson?) Who, my dear readers, will Scully flirt with in her Scully way? I couldn't bear the thought.

By the time Duchovny decided to come back to the show, I had already missed one season and couldn't get back into it to finish the series.

Now with the invention of Netflix (yet another thing that makes me happy) I can watch whatever TV show I want. And I do.

I simply can't get enough of it. Very rarely do I yearn to watch more of a TV show like I do The X-Files. I wait for my lunch to roll around so I can watch an episode. I don't go out to buy my lunch; I eat whatever is in the fridge so I don't waste precious minutes of my TV-watching hour. I start and wonder if somehow I can watch the rest of the episodes at my desk without anyone noticing.

I yearn for the day Mulder comes back on the show, but for now, I am happy watching one of the things that makes me happy.

No comments: