Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Orleans 2008: Day Seven


Before we went to VooDoo, Steph and I decided to have lunch at Commander's Palace. According to the locals, the Brennan family is a very influential family in the New Orleans restaraunt industry. And the Brennan's own the Commander's Palace. (The Brennans are the people who invented Bananas Foster.) It is pretty fancy, and you have to dress up, even for lunch. The place was packed, and I was thankful that Steph had the foresight to make reservations.




But the best part is 25 cent martinis and cosmopolitans. I felt like I was living in 1963 and we were drinking our lunch. They had amazing martinis and my food was fantastic. I had the seafood gumbo, New Orleans barbeque shrimp, and bread pudding souffle for dessert. Umm, pure heaven!






Then we went home for some play time with the kiddo before we headed out to the VooDoo Experience.


Then we went to experience the VooDoo Experience.



Let me tell you. This was probably the most amazing music festival I have ever been to. I haven't been to very many, but this was great. There were all sorts of people and bands from everywhere and a tent dedicated all to local music, and another tent dedicated all to brass and jazz bands. So, not only were there bands like Stone Temple Pilots and R.E.M., but we got to see local bands like Rotary Downs and The Vettes, who were also amazingly talented bands.




We started off with a little Wyclef Jean, then we got up close and personal with Erykah Badu (my camera takes horrendous pictures, I know). Then some Reverend Horton Heat (not pictured). And then we caught a little DeVotchka before Stone Temple Pilots (we were pretty far away) and then some Soul Sisters dancing to a DJ.
Where else can you get such an varraying array of music?? But this was just the beginning.

No comments: