Monday, May 26, 2008

The Year of Yes: Date #6

Mr. Geologist and I went on a date that was a long time coming. We had been chatting for a few weeks now, but he works as a geologist in the Mexican desert, and is home for 10 day stints. This weekend was one of them, so we decided to go out Saturday night.

He asked me where I wanted to go, but I told him that I didn't care. I'm here in Reno all the time, and if he wanted to go someplace in particular, I had no problem with that. (Besides, I am always looking for new places to Yelp about.)

He chose Italian, 7:30. I arrived at said destination looking quite beautiful. Really, it isn't often I leave the house saying to myself, "Damn! I look GOOD!" Anyway, I arrived, looking mighty fine, and a man comes out of the restaraunt and introduces himself as Mr. Geologist. I did a double take.

It was the infamous bait and switch.

He looked NOTHING like his picture. NOTHING.

Honestly, he looks a lot like my brother-in-law, and while Nater is quite handsome, I have a hard time not thinking of him as my kid sister's husband. I.e. YOUNG.

Mr. Geologist brought an excellent bottle of wine, which I appreciated, and was great. The food was amazing and the service was fun and lively. (See review on Yelp.com) Dinner was nice.

I thought to myself, "I can get over the fact that he looks like a baby. Beggars can't be choosers."

So, that night I went home and found an email sitting in my inbox: I had a great time; we should do this again sometime; maybe next time I can cook and we can watch a movie; etc. etc. I replied that I had a great time too and was looking forward to seeing him again.

The next day, another email: "I'm free anytime this week, just let me know." I emailed him to tell him that Monday night I was free for dinner and a movie. This was Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I called to talk to him and to confirm for Monday night.

I haven't heard back from him since the email I got from him Sunday morning.

Seriously, I am starting to wonder if every man I date gets some exotic flesh-eating disease and can't call me. Their fingers are rotting off; that is the only explanation I can come up with. Why else would they take the time and trouble to invite me over if they aren't going to make good on their word? It isn't that hard to just not email me at all.

3 comments:

Holli said...

Augh...men! Geologist sounds interesting though; if his hands haven't rot off, I'd give him another chance.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

um... where is the info on dates 1,2,3 and 4? loves!

Micaela said...

You can go to my full website at themisadventruesofmicaela.com to see the blog in its entirety, etc.